The Tangipahoa Mosquito Abatement District began in 2003 in Hammond, Louisiana. Our mission is to protect public health and welfare of district citizens by using comprehensive, integrated mosquito management strategies.
NATURE OF WORK
This is a professional position concerned primarily with informing the public about mosquitoes and mosquito-transmitted disease prevention and the services provided by the District using a variety of communication tools and resources. Work involves development of informational material, overseeing the District’s public presence, presenting for schools, civic groups, and events, and assisting with district messaging and branding. This position reports to the Assistant Director and Director.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Works with Director and Assistant Director to develop public and media plans and strategies
- Plans, develops, edits, and updates district promotional and educational materials and displays
- Creates content for the district’s website, including regular updates, new pages, and monitoring data analytics
- Oversees and regularly develops content for the District’s social media platforms (writing posts, designing graphics, monitoring, and responding to resident feedback)
- Assists in preparing press releases, key messages, and talking points to communicate with the press and general public
- Coordinates, schedules, and organizes district participation at community events, including: presentations for schools and civic groups, demonstrations, and informational booths
- Prepare and present at schools, civic organizations, and events as requested
- Creates monthly and annual reports describing outreach activities, goals, and impacts
- Manages and distributes inventory of district outreach materials
- Monitors outreach budget and orders relevant equipment and supplies as needed (with Assistant Director and/or Director approval)
- Collaborates and supports the administrative team to consolidate data and control strategy information into concise messages to communicate to the public
- Reports (if applicable) at annual Louisiana Mosquito Control Association and American Mosquito Control Association conferences
- Other duties as assigned by the Assistant Director and/or Director
- BSc/BA in public relations, communication, education, graphic design, or other related field
- At least two (2) years of experience in a media or communications position
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products including Office, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Proficient with various graphic design software (Adobe Creative Suite, Photoshop, Canva, etc.)
- Proficient in graphic design
- Proficient with creating and editing informational content
- Excellent communication, written, and organizational skills
The District reserves the right to change duties and qualifications as business requires.
- Full time position: Monday-Friday, 7:00am-3:30pm
- Starting hourly pay rate: $29.35 with excellent benefits package
- Please email Colby Colona with questions or to send resume: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information on our program, visit: tangimosquito.org
- TMAD is a drug-free workplace. EOE.